"Not Reading a Victorian Novel"
For this project, I did Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. Here's my earlier prediction: I think this novel has some forbidden romance in it; Jane Austen always wrote beautiful popular romantic tales, and I think this one, while Gothic, is no different. I’m hoping there will be some death and dark themes that tie in with the story. I predict the story will take place in London, because all dark stories with a little bit of sadness happen there, and I expect most of the story to happen at night, with some fog/rain rolling in. With the Gothic themes, I’m thinking there will be some heartbreak and conflict with the characters, a little mystery or even a twisted ending, but it’s also Austen so with the forbidden love, I think nobility or wealth might have a big play in the tale. I expect the words “heart,” “death,” and “darkness” to appear.
Here is my citation for using the book:
Austen, Jane. Northanger Abbey. Project Gutenberg. www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-0.txt.
I used the bubbles, circle, and mandala tools. What I noticed was that not all of guesses were accurate. There were some mentions of the word "love," and some mentioning of "respectable" but other than that, there isn't any talk about mystery or foggy streets or even of London. I did only do the first three chapters, and it mentions Catherine a lot, who is clearly the main character. She does have some bad luck, or so she feels. "Personal" was one of the words used the most, and I think my guess could be (sort of) acknowledged here; I did say there were would be some issues amongst the characters, and if there's anything going on that's classified as personal, then I think that we can assume some drama is going to happen. Based of what I learned from this take on "distant reading," I honestly feel more intrigued to read the novel now. My hypothesis had been completely inaccurate, and judging what the most used words are, the novel is focusing more on introducing these characters before jumping into what the story is about. I don't like not knowing things, which is why I'm a lot more interesting in reading the book now, but I will say the book didn't have any of the dark themes or words I thought it might. I'm curious to see why it's classified as a Gothic novel (the genre of fiction I chose), because all the words I've displayed in the screenshot display words that would probably be used in any old Victorian novel of Jane Austen's. I guess you can see her style of using words that are sweeter, like "dear," "acquaintance," and "good." Here are my screenshots!!
Here is my citation for using the book:
Austen, Jane. Northanger Abbey. Project Gutenberg. www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-0.txt.
I used the bubbles, circle, and mandala tools. What I noticed was that not all of guesses were accurate. There were some mentions of the word "love," and some mentioning of "respectable" but other than that, there isn't any talk about mystery or foggy streets or even of London. I did only do the first three chapters, and it mentions Catherine a lot, who is clearly the main character. She does have some bad luck, or so she feels. "Personal" was one of the words used the most, and I think my guess could be (sort of) acknowledged here; I did say there were would be some issues amongst the characters, and if there's anything going on that's classified as personal, then I think that we can assume some drama is going to happen. Based of what I learned from this take on "distant reading," I honestly feel more intrigued to read the novel now. My hypothesis had been completely inaccurate, and judging what the most used words are, the novel is focusing more on introducing these characters before jumping into what the story is about. I don't like not knowing things, which is why I'm a lot more interesting in reading the book now, but I will say the book didn't have any of the dark themes or words I thought it might. I'm curious to see why it's classified as a Gothic novel (the genre of fiction I chose), because all the words I've displayed in the screenshot display words that would probably be used in any old Victorian novel of Jane Austen's. I guess you can see her style of using words that are sweeter, like "dear," "acquaintance," and "good." Here are my screenshots!!





Comments
Post a Comment